"Arts education creates healthy human beings capable of leading successful, productive and vibrant lives and inspiring new generations to be creative thinkers. Arts For All makes this experience accessible and affordable for all."
Trained as a ballet dancer in Poland, Vitek Wincza’s journey began when he defected to Hamilton while on a North American tour with his dance troupe in 1982. Despite his limited English, he began teaching dance and discovered that he loved it: “After a few classes I said maybe this could be my art. I love kids, I love working in a growing environment and I have always been a giver, so I thought ‘maybe I have something to offer through teaching’.” After 15 years as a dance instructor, Vitek founded the Hamilton Conservatory for the Arts in 1997. He poured everything he owned into the Conservatory with the dream of creating a space where the practice of dance, music, drama and visual arts could grow together and shape one another.
- Babar the Elephant
- Carnival of the Animals
- Snow White
- Hamilton Nutcracker with the Kiev Ballet
- Pinocchio (with choreographer by Robert Desrosiers)
- Displacement (with choreographer Robert Glumbek, composer Christos Hatzis, and visual artist Vessna Perunovich)
- Cultural Merit Award, Government of Poland, 1996
- Hamilton’s Vision 2020, 1998
- Honours from Moscow’s Diaghilev Foundation, 2003
- WNED and Steuben, Canadian Artist Award in Buffalo, NY, 2004
- City of Hamilton Award for Dance, 2004
- City of Hamilton, Community Arts Award, 2012
- Hamilton’s Citizen of the Year nominee, 2013
- Hamilton Gallery of Distinction inductee, 2017